Wednesday, February 16, 2011

There's a First Time for Everything

I never thought I'd see the day when a Republican legislator takes $5,000 from the GEO Group, uses that money to conduct a public-opinion poll on a proposed private prison, then pushes to block that prison based on negative feedback from the poll. But that's exactly what Ron Angle, council chairman for Northampton County, PA, did.

For as pessimistic as I get about the influence of money in politics, especially in the private prison arena, this was an amazing story to see. Bravo, Mr. Angle, for not caving to corporate influence and protecting the interests of the people you serve. It's almost sad that I feel the need to congratulate a politician for merely doing the right thing, but regardless, I'm very glad he made the right decision.

No comments:

Post a Comment