Tuesday, February 8, 2011

An Insider's Perspective

Today's link goes to a great article by a man incarcerated in a private prison in California. He titles his piece "The Out-Of-State Transfer Scam," and goes on to describe how private prison companies are manipulating California's overcrowded prison system by moving prisoners to facilities in states where it is cheaper to operate. It's a really great piece that offers some perspective on how prisoners feel like commodities when they're transferred to facilities hundreds, if not thousands of miles away from their friends and families.

I know I sit on here and bitch a lot about the shady business practices and failures to adhere to contracts that are seemingly endemic to the industry. But I feel I don't often properly portray the human impact and suffering caused by these companies whose sole focus is profitability. Boston Woodward really brings it home for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment